Monday, May 16, 2016

On Spectral Hounds

Lankhmar in Publication Order  3 The Howling Tower

Published in 1941 in UnknownThe Howling Tower is Fritz Leiber's third tale featuring Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.

The first five stories all appeared in Unknown, a year apart, from '39-43. Then there is a four year gap. But I'm getting ahead of myself. The Howling Tower appears as the 5th chapter in the second volume of the collected editions, Swords Against Death. 

This story is awesome. It reminds me slightly of Lovecraft's The Hound and I could swear that I saw it ripped off in one of the Conan the Barbarian comics.

As Fafhrd and Mouser return to Lankhmar from the Bleak Shore, they must cross the western continent. Settling down for the night, they hear strange howling coming from a distant tower. In the morning, Fafhrd is gone and Mouser must follow to find out what power has lured his friend away.

If I explained it any more there would be spoilers. Oh. What the hell, I'll give you this much: spectral hounds and sympathetic magic! Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment